Grant and Patent Administrator
FIXED DURATION: Permanent
HOURS: 37.5 hours per week (will also consider 3 or 4 days per week part-time option)
Oxford Genetics, a leader in synthetic biology, is a specialised contract research organisation offering services to support the discovery, development and production of biologics, with a particular focus on viral vectors for gene therapy applications. A unifying theme across the portfolio is expertise in DNA design, expression system optimisation, cell line development and engineering of viral delivery systems. We are located within purpose-fitted laboratories at the Oxford Science Park, just South of Oxford. We are in a phase of rapid expansion and are seeking highly motivated and enthusiastic scientists, engineers, support services and technicians to join the team and help facilitate the next stage of our development as a company. We aim to be both innovative and entrepreneurial in everything we do – join us and contribute to this exciting journey!
- The role will be focused in the two main areas of grant and patent administration
- This role will be based in our office in Oxford to allow you direct access to our Research and development team and CFO to enable you to be effective
- To enable the company to develop a cost-effective patent portfolio and to maximise opportunities to fund the company’s product and services development road-map via grant funding
- Taking over work initially performed in other areas of the business and liaising extensively with the company’s Research and Development employees and the CFO
- Identification of opportunities for new patent or grant applications
- Drafting and filing applications for grants, patents, trademarks etc.
- Collating and recording cost, labour time and other relevant data
- Prior art searching
- Co-ordinating patent landscaping and FTO searches
- Patent renewal management
- Accurately maintaining databases
- Participation in grant project review meetings and liaison with external grant bodies, third party project collaborators and grant project managers
- Liaison with and instruction to external legal advisors as well liaison with key internal staff
- Ensuring compliance with rules, regulations, guidelines and timetables
- Identification of qualifying R&D expenditure eligible for tax relief
- To maintain confidentiality and observe data protection and associated guidelines.
- To carry out any other reasonable duties and responsibilities within the overall function, commensurate with the grading and level of responsibilities of the post.
ESSENTIAL QUALIFICATIONS / EXPERIENCE / SKILLS / ABILITIES:
- A background in Biological Sciences would be advantageous, in particular with regard to Molecular Biology and Informatics
- Work experience in a similar, grant, patent, or intellectual property role
- Excellent attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Excellent analytical, problem solving and interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of people
- A good working knowledge and skills in Microsoft Word, Excel and Outlook
- High levels of being proactive, creative and working on own initiative
- A flexible approach to working in a small and fast-growing company
- The ability to remain calm and work to deadlines
- Professional qualifications in Grant and/or Patent Administration are desirable
In addition to undertaking the duties above, the post-holder will be expected to fully adhere to the following:
- To actively participate in their performance review and work towards objectives set.
- To take responsibility for their own professional development ensuring professional standards are maintained and mandatory training is in date.
- To attend training as requested.
CODE OF CONDUCT AND QUALITY
- To uphold the company mission and values.
- To adhere to quality processes and procedures and strive for continuous quality improvement.
EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES / DIVERSITY
- To observe the company’s Equal Opportunities Policy providing equality of treatment and opportunity to employees, irrespective of sex, sexuality, age, marital status, ethnic origin or disability.
HEALTH & SAFETY
- To take responsibility for the health and safety of themselves and other persons who may be affected by their omissions or actions at work.
- To promote the company Health and Safety Policy and ensure matters are managed in accordance with it.
- To report accidents, incidents and near misses, implementing corrective action where necessary.
CONFIDENTIALITY AND DATA SECURITY
- To comply fully with the duties and responsibilities outlined the company handbook regarding confidentiality.
- To comply with the Data Protection Act 1998 and future similar legislation and ensure that all information collected, stored and used is done so in compliance with the Act.
- To preserve the confidentiality of any information in connection with their employment. This obligation shall continue in perpetuity.
25 days Annual Leave plus Bank Holidays, Pension with matched employer contribution to 7%, Health Insurance, Group Life Cover, Child Care Voucher Scheme, Glasses Vouchers, Long Service Benefits and a friendly working environment in an exciting and expanding young company.
We have offices in the UK and USA. This role will be located at The Oxford Science Park, just 4 miles south east of Oxford, with parking and good public transport links from Oxford. Our UK office address is: Oxford Genetics Ltd, Medawar Building, The Oxford Science Park, Oxford, OX4 4GA.
To apply for the position then please send a cover letter and CV to email@example.com